What if Jesus is Coming Soon?

>> Thursday, February 26, 2009

While driving across southern Missouri a few days ago Dotti and I stopped for lunch at a Waffle House restaurant. When I went to pay my check, I noticed a business card holder next to the register with business cards that simply read, "Jesus is Coming Soon." I picked one up, perhaps in part to affirm the person who placed it there. And then, as I awaited my change, I looked behind the counter.

If I managed a roadside restaurant, and was convinced that Jesus was coming soon, I think I'd hurriedly wash up all the dishes and scrub the floor. I'd check to see that the napkin dispensers were filled, and that every table and every booth was scrubbed.

As I drove down the highway that afternoon, the card sat on my dash. I wondered, what would I do if I were truly convinced that Jesus was coming soon? Would I quickly do all the dishes, scrub the floor, and wipe down all the furniture? I doubt it. Those are not my "things" -- they don't represent my gifts or my calling. So I decided that if I truly believed that Jesus were coming soon, I'd get busy using the gifts I've been given (such as writing, teaching, and ministry). Jesus might well expect to find me busy using these gifts he has given me, rather than living up to someone else's responsibility.

What God expects of each of us is different (and perhaps different at various times in our lives). What he does expect of each of us is that we be diligent in the employment of the gifts we are given.

The card remains on the dash of my car. It helps me focus.

0 comments: